Charlotte New Music
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
The Charlotte New Music Festival (CNMF), Beo String Quartet, and Red Clay Saxophone Quartet are happy to announce our third annual composition contest. This is a call for scores by emerging and mid-career American composers aged 35 years and older who also live in the U.S.
There are two ensembles for which you may choose to submit a piece:
Submissions — due November 10, 2017 by 11:55pm EDT
Award for the winner of each category —
- Beo String Quartet and Red Clay Saxophone Quartet will perform the selected works at CNMF in June 2018.
- $200 travel stipend and dorm accommodations for 4 nights at the 2018 CNMF in Charlotte, NC.
- Be a special guest composer at the 2018 CNMF. (Give a presentation on your music, attend rehearsals of your music with Red Clay or Beo, attend other concerts and network with other guests and participants.)
- Beo String Quartet and Red Clay Saxophone Quartet will also perform the piece during their regular 2018-19 concert season.
- Top 10 pieces in each category will receive honorable mention.
- Choose a category and submit ONE score AND all parts (ONE submission per composer):
- string quartet (2 violins, viola, cello)
- saxophone quartet (SATB)
- Maximum duration is 20 minutes.
- The work may have been previously performed.
- Recordings are optional but highly encouraged.
- Your bio, birth year, and mailing address.
- $8.50 submission fee.
- CNMF current/former staff and guest composers are ineligible for this opportunity. CNMF alumni are eligible.
Eligibility — composer applicants must:
- Currently reside in the continental United States.
- Be born before January 1, 1983.
- Be willing to give a presentation on their music and attend the performance in June 2018 at the 7th annual Charlotte New Music Festival.
Both winners to be announced on Friday, January 15, 2018.